Office of Academic Affairs
CENTER FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING EXCELLENCE
The Medgar Evers College Center for Teaching and Learning grew out of faculty commitment to the belief that student education is the primary purpose of a college and that teaching and learning is central to the mission of an educational institution and that the process is interconnected, collaborative and continuously evolving. The Center provides a venue for both formally structured and informal mentoring opportunities covering the range of pedagogical techniques, theories and applications. The Center through its numerous activities such as faculty discourses, workshops, master teacher demonstrations, international conferences and a journal publication provides a vehicle through which faculty will continually challenge and examine their assumptions about teaching and student learning.
In keeping with the mission of Medgar Evers College, the Center seeks to promote scholarship, collaboration and change that will encourage and support excellence in teaching and learning within and across the disciplines at the College. Resources and activities of the Center will seek to:
- Stimulate faculty commitment and discussion related to assessing, analyzing and revising curricula and pedagogy at the College to promote effective, standards-focused learning experiences for our students based on their individual and collective needs
- Provide resources on current research and trends in postsecondary curricula and instructional methods to promote faculty professional development
- Facilitate faculty research, projects and new initiatives related to curriculum and instruction
- Disseminate faculty scholarship and innovations in teaching and learning throughout the College, as well as throughout the local, state, national and international community of educators.
- To develop a community of dedicated faculty to effect beneficial changes in the current teaching culture;
- To assist faculty in remaining knowledgeable of instructional methods that affect learning;
- Provide leadership for the development of creative multi-disciplinary faculty dialogue;
- To work with faculty to refine the curriculum;
- To provide leadership in the areas of educational policy, instructional planning, program review, faculty development and resource planning; and
- To create a dedicated forum for academic discourse.
A dynamic teaching and learning Center will serve as:
- Resource Center introducing new developments in postsecondary education to the College
- Conduit to offer services and support to faculty in course planning, instructional methods, program development, and evaluation
- Clearing house for projects and new initiatives-encourage and support department/school ad faculty-based projects.
- Conduct College-wide, Nation-wide, and international conferences, seminars, workshops, and speak-outs.
- Produce newsletters, journals, and fund projects that promote teaching and learning.