Medgar Evers College Immersion Program:
Advance and Accelerate!
The Immersion Programs consist of tuition-free intensive workshops designed to prepare students to exit developmental courses. Students who take the CUNY Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing and Math and are not successful will have the opportunity to take a workshop and upon successful completion of the workshop students can retake the respective assessment test. Students who have satisfied the CUNY Assessment Tests in all 3 areas may have the opportunity to take a tuition-free college level credit bearing course in the Summer Immersion Program. During the Winter Intersessions only developmental workshops are offered.
Please review the following:
- Summer Immersion Workshop Schedule
- Winter Immersion Workshop Schedule
Eligibility to Participate in tuition-free Immersion Workshops or Courses:
- Incoming or Continuing Freshman Students (≤ 30 credits)
- Grade point average 2.0 or higher
- No Stops on your record (e.g., bursar)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Summer Immersion or Winter Intersession for me? (Eligibility)
- If you have not passed at least one of the CUNY Assessment Test(s), then Immersion is for you. Students are required to pass all three CUNY Assessment Tests: Reading, Writing and Mathematics. Successful completion of the Assessment Tests demonstrates your readiness to take credit bearing courses.
- If you are an entering freshman who has passed all CUNY Assessment Tests or a continuing student interested in accelerating completion of your degree by taking additional credit bearing liberal arts courses that meet College Core requirements, then Immersion is for you.
Can I take advantage of two workshops?
- Not in the same session and;
- It depends on the number of students who are accepted in the program and space availability in order to take advantage of “1” workshop in each session.
What courses will I be required to take?
- Students who did not pass the Reading CUNY Assessment Test are required to take English Reading (ENGR).
- Students who did not pass the Writing CUNY Assessment Test are required to take English Writing (ENGW).
- Students who did not pass the Mathematics CUNY Assessment Test are required to take Math (MTHP).
Students who have successfully passed or are exempt from all of the basic skills courses may have the opportunity to take:
Biology 101, English 112, English 150, Math 136, Math 115
When does Immersion begin?
Summer Workshops have two sessions, June and July
Winter Intersession is in January
(see sidebar for dates)
When and How Do I Register? Registration is an application process via the web at (https://webapp.mec.cuny.edu/fyp). The web access is available:
Summer Immersion Session I: April
Summer Immersion Session II: July
Winter Immersion: November