MISSION STATEMENT OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OF MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE
Originally incorporated on June 14, 1978, under section 402 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law, the organization is organized exclusively for educational purposes under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The purpose of the Alumni Association of Medgar Evers College is to be an organization that enables the graduates of Medgar Evers College to work together for the welfare of the College as well as for the mutual benefit of its graduates, students and faculty.
Section 1. NAME
The name of this non-profit tax-exempt corporation is ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OF MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE, INC.
Section 2. FUNCTION
The Alumni Association shall perform the functions and services listed below:
- Raise and disperse funds for the programs and activities of the Association and the College. No part of the net earnings of the organization shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the organization shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in the purpose clause hereof.
- Develop and carry out programs and activities for the welfare of the Association and the College. No substantial part of the activities of the organization shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the organization shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of this document, the organization shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (a) by an organization exempt from federal income tax under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or (b) by an organization, contributions to which are deductible under section 170 (c) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
- Support the College in the execution of its programs and activities.
- Safeguard the rights of all alumni of Medgar Evers College as well as the rights stated in the governance plan and operation procedures.
- Review and approve recommendations from Standing Committees of the Alumni Association.
- Serve as recruiting agent for the College.
- Consider other matters, which may come to the attention of the Alumni Association concerning the general welfare of the College and its personnel.
- Motivate and encourage the pursuit of higher education in local, national and international communities.
- Assist with and review the College's development including academic programmatic and facilities as a member of the Medgar Evers College Council.